One of the best preparation methods is to have a plan in place for a power outage. Since we are very dependent on electricity, it is very important to ensure that you have resources in advance.
Here are some ways to prepare for a power outage:
- Have backup power sources such as flashlights, lanterns, and batteries.
- Store non-perishable food and water supplies, as well as a manual can opener.
- Keep a portable or standby generator for emergencies.
- Make sure you have a working phone charger, either battery-powered or hand-crank.
- Store important documents and keep them easily accessible.
- Consider purchasing a backup heating source such as a wood stove or kerosene heater.
- Keep a backup supply of any essential medications.
- Keep a backup of critical medical equipment powered.
- Stay informed by having a battery-powered or hand-crank radio.
- Consider investing in a solar panel system to provide a source of electricity.
In the next few posts, we will expand on each of these items.