For people living in areas that experience seasonal hurricanes, it is important to prepare far in advance. Like many other people, you do not want to wait till the last minute to rush to the store. Since many supplies will be low and it will be difficult to adequately prepare.
Sometimes it can be difficult to get started. Here is a list of 20 things that can help you get started. These are easy steps that can be done to prepare at home for a hurricane.
- Create a disaster preparedness plan and emergency supply kit.
- Check your insurance coverage and update if necessary.
- Install hurricane shutters or reinforced window film.
- Trim trees and remove dead branches to reduce the risk of damage.
- Store lawn furniture and other outdoor items that could become flying hazards.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are clean and in good condition.
- Secure loose items in your yard, such as bicycles, lawn furniture, and trash cans.
- Prepare for potential power outages by having flashlights, batteries, and a backup generator.
- Learn evacuation routes and make arrangements for transportation if necessary.
- Consider investing in a watertight safe for important documents and valuables.
- Stay informed about weather conditions and potential storm impacts through reliable sources.
- Know how to turn off electricity, gas, and water to your home if necessary.
- Have an emergency plan in place for pets, including extra food, water, and a secure place to stay.
- Make arrangements for an out-of-town contact who can help coordinate with family members.
- Keep a supply of non-perishable food, water, and other essentials to last at least three days.
- Plan for communication with loved ones during and after the storm.
- Keep important documents, such as passports, driver’s licenses, and insurance policies, in a safe and accessible place.
- Keep a portable radio and extra batteries to stay informed about weather and other developments.
- Make sure all vehicles are fueled and in good working condition.
- Be prepared for potential flooding by having sandbags, a sump pump, and a generator.
What do you think of this list? Do you have any ideas to add to this list. Please let me know in the comments below.