Installing a light fixture is another simple electrical repair that can be done on any home. If you have the wiring from an old fixture in place the process can be followed very easily. The steps below will help guide you through the process. A very helpful website that has many valuable DIY guides is The Family Handyman.
To install a light fixture, you will need to follow these basic steps:
- Turn off the power to the circuit you will be working on by switching off the appropriate breaker or removing the appropriate fuse.
- Use a voltage tester to ensure that the power is off before you start working.
- Remove the old fixture, if necessary.
- Install the mounting bracket for the new fixture by attaching it to the electrical box in the ceiling using the provided hardware.
- Carefully thread the wires from the new fixture through the holes in the mounting bracket.
- Connect the wires by attaching the black wire to the black or brass screw, the white wire to the white or silver screw, and the ground wire (if present) to the green or bare copper screw (see diagram below).
- Carefully position the new fixture against the mounting bracket and secure it with the provided hardware.
- Attach the light bulbs and any decorative covers or shades.
- Turn the power back on and test the light to make sure it is working properly.
It is very important to make sure the power is off before working with the wiring to avoid the risk of electric shock or fire. It’s always best to have a professional licensed electrician to do the job to make sure it done safely and according to local regulations.